Fehr Trade: Surf to Summit top




I've been looking for a rash vest for summer for myself and haven't managed to find a decent one that fits so I was pretty happy when I saw this pattern.

I like the fact that its got princess seams and the raglan sleeves are great way to colourblock. I did have some issues fitting it, I've always had trouble with raglan sleeves on me and finally worked out that it was from not enough sleeve cap length (thanks to some fitting posts by Mrs Mole).


So even though it took 2 muslins, they were quick to whip up on the serger and I'm glad I know how to adjust it on future raglan tops.

Final version:
  • Sz L (I measure as the XL on the chart but wanted a closer fitting top)
  • 1" FBA
  • Added about 3" to the sleeve cap length in two separate areas - the top was rotated out to form a shoulder dart.
  • Lowered the front neckline (this is a personal thing with me, I hate the feel of a high neckline)
  • pinned out excess at the side bust/sleeve/waistline.
  • Fabric - the aqua is lycra knit from spotlight and the sleeves are an poly knit also from spotlight.

A couple of fitting pics;

Muslin 1 - the sleeve on the left is the standard sleeve and the right is one that I have cut to release, you can see how much lower its sitting. Its also a sz XL and feels a bit big.

Muslin 1
Muslin 2 - Graded back down to a sz L, added 1.5" to the sleeve cap length and rotated it out to a shoulder dart.
It still needs more sleeve cap length so the sleeve on the right has had another 1.5" added to the sleeve cap.
I also pinned out some excess at the waist and side bust/sleeve and transferred it onto the paper pattern.

Muslin 2
Final version - pretty happy, just have to play with the shoulder dart to make it perfect (needs to be a bit longer and angled back about 1/2"). Also needs a swayback adjustment.


I made matching swimsuit bottoms to go with the top, they are just traced from a pair of RTW undies with a fold over band added to the top. These are the second pair, I made the first and then decided I wanted more coverage at the back and a little more room in the hips and the waistband made smaller.



I wore it all out for a swim on the weekend and it was really good, very comfy and the rash vest dries so much quicker than a tshirt and is a lot better in the water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Victory Patterns 1002: Ava Dress

Bridesmaid dress: V.2 finished

Rainbow quilt