Butterick 5783: Wrap top






I have a few issues with this pattern.
Firstly; there is no finished garment measurements printed anywhere on the pattern or in the instructions so I flat measured to pick a size. I went with L and the fit is ok so I would say this pattern runs a bit large. I do wish I added some to the arms because I found them a bit tight on me.

Secondly; there is some funkiness going on with the neckline, I think the back neck is drafted too wide which then gapes the neckline quite a bit. I had to take out 2" up at each shoulder seams to get the neckline not gaping. I'm not that keen on the fold over and sew for the neckline finish either, it looks a bit messy and it doesn't really stabilise the neckline at all.

Thirdly: The neckline is quite low, I actually sewed the wrap part closed because otherwise it shows a lot more than I am comfortable showing! It needs a FBA but I couldn't work out how to without rotating out into the neckline which was already too long and gaping (unless it was rotated back into the backwards princess seam at the front?) There are a lot of drag lines at the arms/bust.

Finally: I found the ties slightly too narrow on me so when I crossed them over one side pulls out at the bottom each time.


I do however really like the wide ties and I like the elastic waist because it makes the back sit really nicely. I can't see me wearing this top because of how I feel about the neckline but I do want to modify it into another top or adjust this pattern enough its more wearable. I wonder if it would work better if the ties weren't sewn into the backwards princess seam at the bust and were just sewn into the side seams at the waistline?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NewLook 6048: The Avengers dress

Rainbow quilt

Back from Ecuador: Adventure Shorts, Jungle Pants, and Bowler Hats, Oh My!