Posts

Showing posts from January, 2015

Oliver + S: Sunday Brunch Jacket

Image
Its that time of the year again to make mini jackets - my friends daughter is turning 4 and I wanted a pretty little jacket for her to wear to kindy that could still get thrown through the washing machine.

I never realised Spotlight stocked Oliver + S patterns until I spotted (heh) this on a clearance rack with 2 other patterns. I've always wanted to try them out so this one came home with me.

The fabric is leftover from this dress and the lining is a thin satin from Clear It in Melbourne, buttons are from clear it too.


The pattern itself is well drafted, the sizing is pretty much near identical to Australian kids RTW (I did some snoop shopping at Target with my tape measure!).

Some changes: I added more interfacing than required - interfaced the upper front and half of the lower front, using a medium knit weft fusible on the lower and some armoweft on the collar and the upper front for extra stability.


I added a lining as this fabric is a poly knit and I didn't want it exposed in…

Closet Case Files: Ginger Shorts

Image
Ginger shorts (jorts?). My daughter has a pair of piping hot shorts that has some design features that I wanted to copy, they have bright pink serging that's exposed with the cuff turned up plus a bright pink topstitched back pockets. I tried to get the same feel with these shorts but I don't think I went quite far enough and the single topstitched back pocket just looks odd to me now.

Nothing new fit wise (same as the last pair of jeans, I did notice excess on the side of my leg that didn't show up in my jeans so I've adjusted the pattern for next time.
The fabric was a remnant scrap from a garage sale, just managed to squeeze the shorts out of it and the pocket bags are a quilting cotton from my stash. 

Fehr Trade: Surf to Summit top

Image
I've been looking for a rash vest for summer for myself and haven't managed to find a decent one that fits so I was pretty happy when I saw this pattern.

I like the fact that its got princess seams and the raglan sleeves are great way to colourblock. I did have some issues fitting it, I've always had trouble with raglan sleeves on me and finally worked out that it was from not enough sleeve cap length (thanks to some fitting posts by Mrs Mole).


So even though it took 2 muslins, they were quick to whip up on the serger and I'm glad I know how to adjust it on future raglan tops.

Final version:
Sz L (I measure as the XL on the chart but wanted a closer fitting top)1" FBAAdded about 3" to the sleeve cap length in two separate areas - the top was rotated out to form a shoulder dart.Lowered the front neckline (this is a personal thing with me, I hate the feel of a high neckline)pinned out excess at the side bust/sleeve/waistline.Fabric - the aqua is lycra knit from sp…

2014 Year in review

Image
It feels like I haven't done as much sewing this year as previously, my work hours have increased and I've been concentrating on karate (I achieved my black belt in early December). I have focussed a bit more on fit and what I wear so have been sewing more basics and knit garments. Fit is such a funny thing, as soon as I feel I have something nailed I pick up another adjustment that needs to be worked out!

In summary I've sewn about 35 garments and 8 of them were for other people (this doesn't include the 200 odd prem baby gowns and memory blanket sets). I've actually sewn a bit more than I thought!

My top 3 most worn,
 Sewaholic Gabriola Skirt Ginger Jeans
McCalls 6953 

Thankyou for all the lovely comments on my garments for the last year and here's to another year of happy sewing!