Stashoholism Confessional: 7 Month Itch Edition

Fabric Acquisitions April-October 2012

So, you may recall that I decided to go on a Fabric Fast for Lent this year, which I promptly broke the first week due to the seductive powers of Fabric Mart.

I stayed faithful through the remainder of Lent, and threw in another week to atone for my sins.  Then I kept going.  I didn't buy any fabric until July, at which point I bought fabric for my white A line skirt.  I feel that I have somewhat learned my lesson in fabric buying, because I first bought online from Michael's Fabrics, which had a cotton/linen blend for an incredible $4.99/yd.  I know this was in July because I lost my wallet on 4th of July and I still didn't have a replacement credit card, so I had to get the boyfriend to order it for me.  When it arrived, dangit!, it was winter white, not white.  It also didn't come through the pre-wash very well and it's quite thick/heavy, like a denim weight.

I mostly stuck with in-person buying after that.  I kept my buying sparse, trying to purchase only for wardrobe holes.  For instance, the red silk is to replace this one, whose sleeves I just never loved.  The taupe silk is for a silk half-slip.  The black and white geometric is for (another) A line skirt--I got rid of my black and white plaid skirt several years ago and occasionally miss having a b&w skirt.

The gorgeous wool denim from Michael's fabrics on the lower left will be a sheath dress.  I realized I would really like more non-print sheath dresses for work.  So easy to wear and accessorize and yet instantly professional.

G Street 11-2012

The two knits on the right are for long-sleeve tees.  I have pasted the larger picture above to ask if the turquoise on the left is French terry?  People talk about French terry but I honestly have no idea what it is.  This is a very stretchy knit, fairly heavy weight.  One side is smooth like a jersey knit, the other side almost looks like a sweater knit.  Unfortunately, it didn't wash too well--it has parched desert "crack" marks all over it, the way you sometimes see on rayon knits (though it doesn't feel or burn like rayon).  They are worse on the sweaterknit looking side, so I will be using the smooth side as the outside.

I will admit there is a folly in there. I fell in love with that peacock feather sequined mesh at sewings.com and had to have it.  I have no real idea for it other than a simple skirt.  But I loved it so much online, and I love it just as much in person.

I think for the first time ever I am below parity in my fabric buying, counting the number of pieces of fabric purchased for 2012 against the number of garments sewn (which is not a 1:1 yardage correlation, but is an easy rough calculation).

How better to celebrate than to blow that streak in a fantastical fabric buying spree?  Nikki organized a trip to FabricMart earlier this year, but it was on a Wednesday and I just couldn't take the day off.  Cidell and I are taking our own field trip on Monday since we have the Veteran's Day holiday.  I am so excited.  I just can't even tell you.  Comment here or on her post if you want to meet up with us!

And then next week I will be in NYC for work.  I haven't quite figured out when I'll go fabric shopping, but there will be Garment District visiting.  I will be free for dinner on Thursday night (November 15) if anyone would like to keep me company.

And then I will go back to being parsimonious and puritanical in my buying, and sew like hell to make more room!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NewLook 6048: The Avengers dress

Back from Ecuador: Adventure Shorts, Jungle Pants, and Bowler Hats, Oh My!

Rainbow quilt