I'm excited to say...

...that my first garment for 2013 was an AMAZING dress!!! I have just sewn  Simplicity 2217 and it was unusual to make. Assuming that the instructions would be similar to most patterns for dresses I have sewn, I barged on into it...lesson learnt the hard way. 

 It seems that the idea behind the AmazingFit part of the pattern is all in the machine-basting that constantly needs to be done. You extensively machine-bast the pieces together, make any adjustments that are needed, then rip that basting out, only to restitch it back together again.  I am definitely not use to this style of sewing. It was like making a faux-muslin without even knowing it - I am getting good!

But the instructions were very detailed and easy to follow.They really help you get that perfect fit.

Here you can see, "how the midriff seams shape my body above waistline and below bust!" Who would have thought...

On the inside I followed the instructions and used the facings, but since the linen was already of a weight I was happy with, I just used some light weight cotton lining in black. 

The back has an invisible zipper down the centre seam - nothing exciting to see here.

Fabric is a printed linen just picked up on Monday at the Spotlight 30% off sales. The envelope back recommended 1.9 m for View C (sleeveless) but this was way too much - when placing the pattern pieces on the fabric I could easily see there was a skirt hiding away in those scraps! 

I did find that the pattern erred on the side of largeness, I did have to take in some cm's on the bust section. And I didn't make the little belt, as I am hoping on picking up (or whipping up) a thin belt in either the lilac or burnt red colour to match. 

Overall, I loved the pattern, particularly the pleats above the waistband - very nice flattering feature. After using this AmazingFit pattern I will probs pick up a few more! These patterns allow you to 'design' your own body pattern for A, B, C or D cups sizes, and then Slim, Average, or Curvy hips without having to do your own FBA or other fitting adjustments - I must be getting lazy as the year wears on.

Has anyone else tried any of Simplicity's AmazingFit patterns? Any recommendations for future pattern buying???
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NewLook 6048: The Avengers dress

Back from Ecuador: Adventure Shorts, Jungle Pants, and Bowler Hats, Oh My!

Rainbow quilt